Thursday, August 23, 2012

Family Wall Vignette


It's been three months I've been working to transform our living room . . . . transform it to reflect our family.  Our family has changed so much in the last nine years and the prints I had from college or hand-me-down furniture just wouldn't do anymore.

So, for the last three months, I've been spying this wall and creating various items, hoping I could group them all together into something cohesive.  And you know what?  I'm actually happy with the way it came together.

The wall is the first thing you see coming into the room







So I tried my hand at my very first painted subway wall art.  Since I'm looking to personalize the space, I listed a bunch of memories I share with my husband and kids.  I used my spanking new Silhouette machine but chose to get crazy and use contact paper as a template for the words.  As a template, I mean that is actually paint on there, not vinyl. I really like the way it came out.  A tutorial is definitely in the works.  :)



As for the photos, I got the idea from Natalie's Sentiments.  She helped me to discovered PicMonkey.  It's a free site where you can have all kinds of fun editing your photos.  LOVE IT!  I will put together a tutorial for this one too. 


This photo is so special to me and my husband.  We had to put our Nala girl down over two years ago, and now we can see her again every day.  Thanks for PicMonkey, she looks like the angel she was.


We had some very weathered fence posts sitting in our shed and so of course I thought, "Let's make a letter!"  Well, I did and I'll share with you how I did just that . . . . in a later post.  Ha!


 
Loving the gray and the contrast between weathered and new wood

Awhile back, on the front cover of a magazine , I saw that someone had taken old suitcases, cut them down, and made them into floating shelves. Ingenious. Well, I found six beautiful old drawers sitting at our local landfill (yes, I am one of those people that jumps out of the truck, wearing flip flops, to scrounge through the trash).  I finally got around to making one of them into a floating shelf, and I'm kind of loving the interest it adds to the wall.

LOVING the pulls.

So, I'm feeling pretty good about our family wall.  It will definitely be in flux, as our family is always changing and growing (that means "maybe" more pets and definitely NOT more kids, in case you were wondering).  Making your own personal wall space can be tons of fun, but don't rush it.  Think about what makes you happy and what you would want to look at everyday.  Then smack it on a wall and call it a vignette.  :)



Debbie
Sharing with:

















































10 comments:

  1. You are too cute! Love it. So personal and precious. Nice work, yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your fence post letter and your wall grouping! It think it looks great!

    Have a blessed and wonderful day!

    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I'm visiting from Sugar Bee Crafts. I love the subway art and the fence post. The wall looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheryll! It really makes a difference in the room (perhaps because the wall was blank for three months. ha ha)

      Delete
  4. I love what you did with the wall, how fun! (Oh and I totally love your curtains too). I can't wait to see your tutorials! I love subway art, too, and have been wanting to try it myself but haven't yet. Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The intent of this By-Law is to ensure some measure of public safety and to provide information about requirements pertaining to swimming pools in the County of Antigonis. wrought iron fence

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As of late I bought a house for my family and looking for a Professional Painters Covington. Since a great painter is obligatory to provide an unused see to my modern house isn't it? At that point I select pelican paint since I know they will do their work flawlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been three months I've been working to transform our living room . . . . transform it to reflect our family. Our family has changed so much in the last nine years and the prints I had from college or hand-me-down furniture just wouldn't do anymore. black and white kameez , black and white suit salwar ,

    ReplyDelete